Monday, August 30, 2010

Damnit!

How hard is it to install linux on a netbook?!

Hmmm.... well, not as easy as I expected...

1. My netbook has no CD drive (obviously)
2. While my netbook was still running Windows7 (God I hate this OS!) I downloaded the Fedora distro and created a bootable USB disk.
3. Installed Fedora, but wait.... my mouse touchpad doesn't work, and and actually, the wireless driver was not installed (there goes any chance of 'yumming' and finding the mouse fix).
4. Surprisingly difficult to navigate the menus with a keyboard - if anyone knows how to activate the menus at the top with a keyboard shortcut, please let me know I couldn't find anything online.
5. So... now continuing this at home was not an option, had to go into work. However, at work, my network connection is tied to my work computer. Which is a Mac... but that's okay, I downloaded the wireless drivers, and installed them, and went home.
6. They didn't work.
7. :( So, stuff it, neither did the mouse - it's funny reading recommendations on how to fix the fact that the touchpad doesn't work: "just click on Applications -> System -> etc... - but what if my mouse doesn't work?!)
8. Okay, got an external mouse, but the wireless still didn't work. So now, I'm thinking I'll just give up on Fedora, and try Ubuntu... heard it's doing okay these days...
9. Go into work again...
10. Onto the Ubuntu website for netbook installs. Remember I have a Mac at work, so I need to click - creating bootable USB from Mac. Do the thing, and of course, it's considered that if you create a bootable USB/CD from a Mac, you're necessarily going to use it on the same Mac.... ! AH! So of course it does nothing to my netbook when I try to boot from it.
11. So, fortunately, I have a virus ridden, 3 year old Dell that runs Windows/Linux from my thesis days which I won't touch until I get 'that' piece of paper...
12. So, I download the install manager and Ubuntu image from the website onto Mac, transfer it USB drive...
13. And my virus riddden Dell runs out of battery and shuts down.
14. Of course! I forgot I had moved to the UK, so I need an adapter to power the computer, which I had taken home for the weekend, and the batteries are shot. DAMN IT!
15. You know, usually, I'm not so badly prepared... but this moving country, getting a netbook pre-installed with Windows7 and so much stupid dumb software it runs slower than a snail... AHG!
16. Okay, okay, I calm myself down. Can I use the power from the netwook...? no the power cable is 3 pronged... can I use the power cable from a Mac.... no, it's a Mac.
17. Hahaha, so now I a starting to see the 'funny side', so I go get a power cable (I need one anyway)....Boot up the virus ridden Dell, make the USB bootable, and fortunately no visible virus folder pop up as they do....
18. Insert into the netbook, and boot.... so far so good..... finally....

No comments: