Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Wonderful Life

Having a particularly irritating day at work, which started off well, but quickly degraded into a heap of disappointment, and physically painful struggle trying to stay awake, I came home to do nothing but read, and found solace in 'Wonderful Life' :) Admittedly I understand very little (but I sense Gould's superhuman attempt to relate his field to the layman and greatly appreciate it), however, it is just filled with such eloquent wonder at the intricacies at the complexities of diversity and 'disparity' (newly acquired understanding) of life that it healed my crushed soul.
I was just about to start on a long lament at my predicament, but I am stopping myself as it is rather tedious...
I recently observed in reading the book on the statistics and also, a while ago on mathematical illiteracy (which I need to purchase and reread), I find that like fashion the 'fashionable ideas' of the day are recycled about every 10 years. The book on how statistics was written a while back, back when making $15,000/yr meant you where well-off, and it was addressing the same problems in society as we are today, and the same for the mathematical illiteracy book... However this is both comforting and scary. Comforting in the sense that it seems that humanity is globally, what we are all internally: short sighted and love wallowing in our current unfortunate circumstances. Scary in the sense that our progress to higher moral, educational and ethical standards seems slow, perhaps we are even regressing....?

On a side note, I am making it a goal to go to the Burgess Shale (soon)!

No comments: