Sunday, July 31, 2011

The 'act' of doing

I'm not very good at it, after all I have spent a large (close to 8 years and counting) of my life expressing myself in numbers, equations relating them, and the restricted semantics of programming languages, but lately, slowly, I am starting to gain a exquisite/poignant feeling for words, their nuance. It's a wonderful feeling, and at times when you not only express yourself as you desired, but sense recognition in your audience, it is an intoxicating feeling.

So, to be stickler for definition, and to follow on the thread of my previous post, I wonder what I mean by 'doing', what does it mean (especially these days) to perform an action. (As a small aside, perhaps a disclaimer, I sometimes think about my thinking, and scare myself into how infantile it is. I think it must be vanity, and not hope that dies last, as I somehow find the strength to persevere ;).)

And so, what defines an action? i.e. an external output that you (person) may be (should be?) judged by? My impulsive naive attempts to map everything down to a binary map is quite obviously too simplistic. I guess, a first attempt would be to assert than an action will/must affect someone else. But in that case, is the generation/publication/vocalisation of a meme an act? If you have some crazy idea, relate it to a person, and they go ahead to implement it, who is to blame? It seems that there are instances when this could be answered either way. Or even more complicated, is the facilitation of the successful propagation of a meme an action? (like an 'accessory' to the act?)

Hmmm....time to think :)

No comments: